When everything is Digital, Why can’t Food Safety be?
Read time < 3 mins
In today’s fast-paced world, people choose to eat at restaurants or a sub shop very often instead of sitting and spending time eating alone over a table. This drastically increased the number of customers visiting restaurants as there are lot of food choices available in the hotel menus.
In a recent poll study , respondents voted for eating out on an average at least 5 times a week. Which means people eating out has significantly increased by 4 times since last decade.
According to the recent study by Fortune Magazine, food served at restaurants are the major reason for illness. In the last few months, it’s found that the frozen foods sold by the famous brands are also unhygienic and 4 people died just by consuming these packed foods.
The key for the ill health is not just the food, but the temperatures of the food stored, the unhygienic environment and false handling of food items in the kitchen.
Is there a solution to resolve this issue? Do we have a digital solution in this modern world to improve the food sanitation at the restaurants and reduce the food borne cases in the United States?
In this digital age, people book tables, choose what to eat and review it online. Their experience at a restaurant can make or break the reputation of the brand. The reviews written online about a brand becomes a social proof for other customers which in turn will impact the ROI of restaurants.
When we see a negative review online, we will definitely choose another restaurant. It does not require much of research or study per se. This eventually reduces the sales and directly impacts the brand which results in losses.
Using a digital food safety solution which is the best solution for such problems. By adopting a food safety solution digitally, you can increase your profits and drastically reduce the food borne diseases.
5 Steps to maintain the food healthy in restaurants:
- Segregate food items: First step to keep the food healthy is segregating raw food from produce. Even the recent FDA compliance mandates this, as keeping raw and produce food can cause the bacteria and fungi from raw food to be transmitted to produce.According to the recent study by Fortune Magazine, food at restaurants is the major reason for illness. In the last few months, it’s found that the frozen foods sold by the famous brands are also unhygienic and 4 people died just by consuming the packed food.
- Clean the produce before cooking: Clean the food produce by rinsing it with clean flowing water to remove unwanted dust particles and microbes.
- Monitor Food Temperature: Monitor the temperature of the food stored in freezers and cold-room in real-time.This helps to keep the food fresh and consumable. To know more about how to monitor temperature of the food click here.
- Cook food completely: Ensure the food is cooked completely, for example. it is required to boil the raw meat for 30-min to ensure all pathogens and microbes are dead, similarly there are some mandatory rules for cooking the food properly.
- Mandate Checkpoints: Mandating CCP checkpoints and enforcing it on employees – like washing hands, using head caps, etc. can help you maintain the food health and meet compliance, HACCP standards.